RIP Mac

RIP Mac

Postby steveh » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:07 am

so sad to hear the news - I will always have the memory of Mac at Cornbury festival only a few years ago on The Faces re-union, he was loving it and actually shouted out loud mid-song "this is f'in GREAT".
Some of those keyboard riffs are part of me and give me goosebumps even now.
My heart is heavy today
steveh

Re: RIP Mac

Postby mcnarie » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:37 am

Mac lived a great and full life, and was very giving. He came from a working class family and thrived in his career and environment of choice. I prefer to celebrate his life and legacy rather than mourn the loss. Not a bad life for such a short arse, eh?
mcnarie

Site Admin

Postby brentb » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:28 pm

It was a pretty great way to get through a life. I loved that here was a guy that played and worked around and was close to so many of the top of the top rock & roll music moments and people yet still was able to keep a low enough profile that I imagine he could push a shopping cart around a grocery store without being bothered by anyone.

And I hope you've been hanging in there too Dave, at least better than me. I'm now totally deaf in one ear and almost so in the other. Music is now limited to what spills out of my memory.
It never gets any better. The best you can do is to slow done the rate at which it gets worse.
brentb

Postby mike walton » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:14 pm

Dave, look at the cover of our SMILER calendar for this year, Mac gave the ok to use this brilliant drawing he did of Woody, so glad we did this cover now and so glad Mac was involved
http://www.rodstewartfanclub.com/about_ ... /badge.php
Please don't think this is a plug I am just proud Mac was involved..Kenney drew the Fred Flintstone for us as we had nothing to use from him!!
mike walton

Postby mcnarie » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:34 pm

Sorry to hear about your growing hearing loss, Brent. Hopefully tinnitus is not also an issue. I'm certainly showing signs of deafness, as I also grew up when concerts were not considered an auditory health danger. My first concert was Zappa, and I sat in the front row- no problem whatsoever, great sound and great performances. My second concert was the Who, and my ears rang for three days straight, and hearing was dull for over a week.

I had pneumonia in late 2008 and nearly died. As usual. I've had pneumonia many times and, barring being hit by a bus or shot in the face by Dick Cheney, it will eventually kill me. Since recovering from that bout, It's been difficult to listen to music. If someone screws up the beat and there's a slight timeshift, it's amplified in my head to the point it's unbearable. And rock (3-chord boredom) became particularly heinous. I can still listen to rock in doses, particularly if I'm in the mood and it's a really good (read: smart and unusual) band I've never heard, or if it's something from my collection that hasn't been an overplayed radio staple. I never listen to music on radio, rarely listen to rock from my collection, and only sporadically listen to my main preferences- jazz and classical. At night, though, I'll listen to my collection of old Bob and Ray of Jean Shepherd radio shows (comedy, dialogue) until I drift off.

I used to listen to music 24/7 before that pneumonia/fever. I've got 3 TBs of music in my cloud, plus a few thousand albums and about 500 cds left from my physical collection, and usually listen to it only when someone asks me about a band or song. Not because I want to hear it. It's not that I don't love my history in-and-with music. It reminds me of Colin Moulding, in that I woke up one day and was simply done with it. I wish I'd never had that bout of pneumonia, if for no other reason than it stole a major source of pleasure in my daily life.
mcnarie

Site Admin

Postby brentb » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:48 am

I think my brain is pretty well shot too. I think I'll go try and find you on Facebook, I spend a lot of time there as it substitutes for my inability to have a verbal conversation with anyone.
It never gets any better. The best you can do is to slow done the rate at which it gets worse.
brentb

Postby mcnarie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:52 pm

I'm on FB occasionally- but not often.
mcnarie

Site Admin

Return to Ian 'Mac' McLagan